Saturday, January 15, 2011

My Childhood Friend


He wouldn't look at me; he continued to walk with his eyes looking at the floor. But I knew he saw me, since for quite a while our eyes met from afar.

I looked up and directly at him, waiting for him to look up so that I could greet him and talk to him. But he didn't, not once! He just continued to walk with his eyes looking at the floor.....

He was my childhood friend 40 years ago. We used to walk, talk and play together.

*******

I continued to look at him. He looked haggard, with his thick hair and black spectacles, and his shirt was half opened. He seemed like mumbling and talking to himself; I had never seen him like this before.

I continued to fill up my van with fuel, my eyes never left him, but never once he looked up at me.

*******

He was among the three adopted children of his parents. I remembered he was a smart kid with lots of promise.

Since young, he was well loved by his adopted parents.

He did well in his study and was always a promising student.

But I knew he was ambitious, very determined to make something out of himself.

*******

30 years ago, I left my hometown to further my study; we had lost contact ever since.

When I came back, I saw him with a car accessory shop. I was very happy for him.

Later I was told that he had tricked his adopted parents into giving him money for his business. His adopted parents were furious; I was sad to be told by someone that he was abandoned by his adopted parents ever since!

If only he had waited longer, he would have received most of the inheritance, since he was the favorite son, I told myself.

Few years later, while talking to friends in a coffee shop, I was told that he had become a bankrupt! It shocked me, very much.

******

I filled up the tank.

I continued to look at him; never once I took my eyes away from him.

But he continued to walk away, much faster this time......

I sighed and cried within.....

I understood I had lost a childhood friend.

No comments:

Get Paid for Browsing the Internet with LogiPTC Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.