Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Why All These Stimulants?


I remembered more than 20 years ago, the first thing I did when I woke up from sleep was to light a cigarette. Puffing cigarette for 5-10 minutes had become a daily routine before I started my day.

In my younger days I loved to start my day with a mug of coffee. Drinking a mug of well-brewed coffee for 15-20 minutes can be great fun.

While living in the village, the first thing I did when I woke up was to soak myself in the river for 10-15 minutes. It was just plain fantastic!

Sometimes I wondered why sleeping nowadays made me even more drowsy. Was it because of late night sleeps? Was it because of work overload? Was it because of peer pressure and family commitment? Was it because of too much worry and anxiety?

And why all these stimulants?

Gone were the days when I sprang up from my bed fully refreshed and restored, ready for big time adventures. Rushing through breakfast and taking a quick bath, and I was ready to go.

But the usual question that kept on popping up nowadays seemed to be, "Why the hurry?"

Is it because I no longer have the desire to look forward to a bright new day?

I don't know. Life seems so boring and everything looks so sick.

Why the hurry? Oh! when have I fallen into this mire pit?

Then I started to ponder, "Just how do I enjoy my life?"

I don't know.

The journey is long and the future looks bleak.

It doesn't have to be that way, isn't it?

But just how do I learn to live a self-motivated life without stimulants?

I resort to meditation and prayer, and I realize that simple fact that I'm alive and breathing.

I try to understand and to enjoy the simple things I do. It does help to brighten my days.

I smile. Then why all these stimulants?

I sigh... I don't know...

2 comments:

Metz said...

Dropping by to read more articles from your site. Hope things are well. Keep smiling always :) xoxo

Grace said...

I can relate completely to what you are going through right now. I feel the same way. I hope this isn't what real grown up life is like. What a bummer that would be.

Get Paid for Browsing the Internet with LogiPTC Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.