Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Long Time Friend


It was Saturday mid morning. I was having breakfast with my wife and younger daughter in one of our favorite shops. It has been our weekend routine to eat out, for a change and to rest and relax from our hectic weekdays.

As usual I had my bowl of kueh tiaw, and my wife and daughter their usual kueh tiaw soup. We ordered big bowl, as we had decided to skip lunch.

The place was quiet and inviting. We greeted friends by nodding our head or a soft pat on the back. Not many wanted to break the silence of the place.

Then came my long time friend. We had not seen each other for so long. He sat beside our table after patting me on the shoulder. His thick hair had become thin and he looked old with sunken eyes and cheeks, and long lower jaw.

We are long time friends and we always have a lot to talk when we meet; and now he is in his early 60s while I am in my late 40s.

He told me about his visit to China and his latest visit to a far away city to see his grandchildren. And I related to him my latest happenings.

I felt encouraged by his enthusiasm, his positive outlook, and his frank, blunt and downright speech.

Good friends are really hard to find, harder to leave, and impossible to forget.

We had a good and meaningful time together, and a heart to heart talk.

And I treasure the time spent, and his loving care and friendship.

Hopefully our friendship will last for a very long time.

No comments:

Get Paid for Browsing the Internet with LogiPTC Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.